Educational and Professional Background
BA, French and Chemistry - Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, 2000
MPhil, Chemistry, The George Washington University, 2006
PhD, Inorganic Chemistry, The George Washington University, 2008
National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Scholar, University of Nevada, Reno, 2008-2010
Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Florida Atlantic University, 2010-2017
1. Lunar One (novel), 2018.
2. The First (short story), 2018.
3. Gods of Titan (short story), 2018.
(in revision for new submissions)
4. NanoVax (short story), 2018.
(in contest submission)
1. The Science of Writing Fiction: Six steps to writing fiction like a pro (in less than an hour), 2019. (ebook)
2. D.T. de Lill, E.M. Rezler, J.E. Haky, “Experiments in Inorganic Chemistry.” Fourth Edition. Wiley & Sons. 2016. ISBN: 9781119338017.
3. E.M. Rezler, D.T. de Lill, J.E. Haky, “Experiments in Inorganic Chemistry.” Third Edition. Wiley & Sons. 2015. ISBN: 9781119195061.
1. Write a novel in a month - that's crazy (maybe). Orlando Sentinel. Oct. 12, 2018.
Florida Writers Association’s “I Heart Books” Book Signing Event, Gainesville, FL, May 2019
-Attending Author and Panelist on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Readers Panel
Esalen Writer’s Camp Emerging Voices Writers Fellowship Finalist, 2019
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Publications
27. A. Adcock, B. Gibbons, J.D. Einkauf, J. Bertke, J. Rubinson, D.T. de Lill, K.E. Knope, "Bismuth(III)-thiophenedicarboxylates as host frameworks for lanthanide ions: Synthesis, structural characterization, and photoluminescent behavior." Dalton Transactions, 38, 13419-13433, 2018.
26. J.D. Einkauf, L. Mathivathanan, and D.T. de Lill, “Nitroaromatic sensing with a new lanthanide coordination polymer Ln2(C10H4O5S2)3(H2O)6] (Ln = Sm – Yb) assembled by 2,2’-bithiophene-5,5’-dicarboxylate.” New Journal of Chemistry, 41, 10929-10934, 2017.
25. K. Rue, H. Ten Hoeve, J.D. Einkauf, and D.T. de Lill, “Tuning luminescence in GWMOF-6 through dilution of emissive trivalent Eu or Tb centers by Gd.” Journal of Luminescence, 2018.
24. D.T. de Lill and C.E. Carraher, Jr., “Methods for introducing inorganic polymer concepts throughout the undergraduate curriculum.” ASAP, Journal of Chemical Education, 2017.
23. A. Ballard, D.T. de Lill, R. Zehnder, et al., “Strain alleviation in an isomorphous series of lanthanide 2-nitroterephthalates Ln(TPNO2)(H2O)2.2H2O (Ln = Pr - Lu, except Pm)” Inorganica Chimica Acta, 467, 276-286, 2017.
22. J.D. Einkauf, B.C. Chan, and D.T. de Lill, “Reversible solvent-induced transformation of a one-dimensional uranyl coordination polymer using 4,4’-oxybis(benzoate).” Polyhedron. 128, 149-153, 2017.
21. J.D. Einkauf, J.M. Clark, A. Paulive, G.P. Tanner, and D.T. de Lill, “A general model of sensitized luminescence in lanthanide-based coordination polymers and metal-organic framework materials.” Inorganic Chemistry. 56 (10), 5544-5552, 2017.
20. A. Sarita Gonzalez, X. Mei-Chang, K.A. Pitton, R. Crichton, J.D. Einkauf, and D.T. de Lill, “Developing luminescent lanthanide coordination polymers and metal-organic frameworks for bioimaging applications.” FAU Undergraduate Research Journal. 6 (1), 37-43, 2017.
19. J.D. Einkauf, T.T. Kelley, B.C. Chan, and D.T. de Lill, “Rethinking sensitized luminescence in lanthanide coordination polymers and MOFs: Band sensitization and water enhanced Eu luminescence in [Ln(C15H9O5)3(H2O)3]n (Ln = Eu; Tb).” Inorganic Chemistry, 55 (16), 7920-7927, 2016.
18. J.D. Einkauf, J.P. Karram, N.E. Greig, B.C. Chan, and D.T. de Lill, “Hole-size relationships in the assembly of a furandicarboxylate-based metallolinker in praseodymium coordination polymers synthesized under basic conditions.” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2016(7), 1085-1092, 2016.
17. J.D. Einkauf, L. Mathivathanan, and D.T. de Lill, “Structural, spectroscopic, and computational studies of [2,2’-bithiophene]-5-carboxylic acid.” Journal of Molecular Structure, 1104, 33-39, 2016.
16. N.E. Greig, J.D. Einkauf, J.M. Clark, E.J. Corcoran, J.P. Karram, C.A. Kent, V.E. Eugine, B.C. Chan, and D.T. de Lill, “Luminescent lanthanide containing coordination polymers synthesized via in-situ hydrolysis of dimethyl-3,4-furandicarboxylate.” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 225, 402-409, 2015.
15. D.T. de Lill and B.C. Chan*, “Structure and luminescence of a one-dimensional uranium coordination polymer assembled through benzophenone-4,4’-dicarboxylate.” Inorganica Chimica Acta, 404, 215-218, 2013.
14. A.L. Ramirez, K.E. Knope, T.T. Kelley, N.E. Greig, J.D. Einkauf, and D.T. de Lill, “Structure and luminescence of a 2-dimensional 2,3-pyridinedicarboxylate coordination polymer constructed from lanthanide(III) dimers.” Inorganica Chimica Acta, 392, 46-51, 2012.
13. A.L. Ramirez, B.C. Chan, and D.T. de Lill, “Benzothiophene-4,8-dione.” Acta Crystallographica, E68, o1428, 2012.
12. K.E. Knope, D.T. de Lill, C.E. Rowland, P.M. Cantos, A. de Bettencourt-Dias, and C.L. Cahill, “Uranyl sensitization of samarium(III) luminescence in a two-dimensional coordination polymer.” Inorganic Chemistry, 51 (1), 201-206, 2012. (Cover Article)
11. A. de Bettencourt-Dias, P.S. Barber, S. Viswanathan, D. T. de Lill, Rollett, A., G. Ling, M. S. Altun, “Para-derivatized pybox and its highly luminescent Eu(III) and Tb(III) complexes.” Inorganic Chemistry, 49 (19), 8848-8861, 2010.
10. D.T. de Lill and A. de Bettencourt-Dias, “4-Bromo-N2,N2,N6,N6-tetraethylpyridine-2,6-dicarboxamide.” Acta Crystallographica Section E, E66, o2124, 2010.
9. D.T. de Lill, A.M. Tareila, and C.L. Cahill, “Synthesis, structure, and luminescence of a two-dimensional lanthanide(III)-suberate coordination polymer resulting from dimeric secondary building units.” Inorganic Chemistry Communications, 12, 191-194, 2009.
8. D.T. de Lill and C.L. Cahill, “The Synthesis and Characterization of a Praseodymium-Adipate Framework Templated with 1,2-Bis(4-pyridyl)ethane : Host-Guest Interactions and Structural Survey.” Crystal Growth & Design, 7 (12), 2390-2393, 2007.
7. D.T. de Lill and C.L. Cahill, “Coordination Polymers of the Lanthanide Elements : A Structural Survey.” Progress in Inorganic Chemistry, 55, 143-203, 2007.
(reviewed: J. Am. Chem. Soc., 130, 2878-2882, 2008.)
6. D.T. de Lill, A. de Bettencourt-Dias, and C.L. Cahill, “Exploring Lanthanide Luminescence in Metal-Organic Frameworks: Synthesis, Structure, and Guest-Sensitized Luminescence of a Mixed Europium/Terbium-Adipate Framework and a Terbium-Adipate Framework.” Inorganic Chemistry, 46 (10), 3960-3965, 2007.
5. C.L. Cahill, D.T. de Lill, and M. Frisch, “Homo- and Heterometallic Coordination Polymers from the f-Elements.” CrystEngComm, 9, 15-26, 2007. (Highlight Article; Cover Article)
4. D.T. de Lill and C.L. Cahill, "An Unusually High Thermal Stability within a Novel Lanthanide-Organic Framework: Synthesis, Structure, and Thermal Properties." Chemical Communications, 47, 4946-4948, 2006.
3. D.T. de Lill, W.W. Brennessel, L.A. Borkowski, N.S. Gunning, and C.L. Cahill, “Poly(n-hexane-1,6-dicarboxylato)dysprosium(III)” Acta Crystallographica Section E, E61, m1343-m1345, 2005.
2. D.T. de Lill, D.J. Bozzuto, and C.L. Cahill, “Templated Metal-Organic Frameworks: Synthesis, Structures, Thermal Properties, and Solid-State Transformation of Two Novel Calcium-Adipate Frameworks.” Dalton Transactions, 12, 2111-2115, 2005.
1. D.T. de Lill, N.S. Gunning, and C.L. Cahill, “Toward Templated Metal-Organic Frameworks: Synthesis, Structures, Thermal Properties, and Luminescence of Three Novel Lanthanide-Adipate Frameworks.” Inorganic Chemistry, 44 (2), 258-266, 2005.
Conference Proceedings (as presenter only)
1.“Lanthanide-based nano-MOFs as multimodal bioimaging agents.” Oral presentation at ACS Boston, 8/2015. Selected and recorded for ACS Presentations on Demand. https://presentations.acs.org/common/presentation-detail.aspx/Fall2015/INOR/INOR009d/2251430
2.“Incorporation of polymer chemistry topics in inorganic and materials chemistry courses at Florida Atlantic University.” Oral presentation at ACS Boston, 8/2015.
3.“Spectator ion-directed synthesis of lanthanide-organic frameworks.” Oral presentation at ACS Boston, 8/2015.
4.“Investigating sensitized luminescence in lanthanide coordination polymers.” Oral presentation at ACS, Denver, CO, USA. 3/2015.
5.“Lanthanide-organic frameworks as asymmetric heterogeneous catalysts.” Poster and Sci-Mix presentation at ACS, Denver, CO, USA. 3/2015.
6.“Examining the antenna effect within lanthanide coordination polymers.” Oral presentation at the Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS), Atlanta, GA, 11/2013. Invited contribution.
7.“New linkers for use in lanthanide-based MOFs.” Poster presentation at the 2011 Rare Earth’s Research Conference (RERC), Santa Fe, NM, USA. 6/2011.
8.“Photophysical studies of lanthanide-organic hybrid materials.” Oral presentation at the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society (FAME), Palm Harbor, FL, 5/2013. Invited contribution.
9.“Lanthanide doped III-V semiconducting nanoparticles via hydrothermal methods.” Oral presentation at NanoFlorida, Miami, FL, USA. 10/2011. Invited contribution.
10.“Chemistry as a PR client: A national campaign aimed at promoting careers in chemistry.” Oral presentation and Sci-Mix Poster at ACS, San Francisco, CA, USA. 3/2010.
11.“Visible and near-infrared emissive lanthanide complexes: Pyridine-bis(thiazoline) and related derivatives as sensitizers.” Oral presentation at ACS, San Francisco, CA, USA. 3/2010.
12.“Luminescent lanthanide complexes of pybox and its derivatives.” Oral presentation at ACS, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. 3/2009.
13.“Examples of lanthanide-organic hybrid materials with interesting physical properties.” Oral Presentation at SERMACS 2007, Greenville, SC, USA. 10/2007.
14.“Tuning solid-state luminescence in lanthanide-containing metal-organic framework materials.” Oral presentation at the 59th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2007), Greenville, SC, USA. 10/2007.
15.“Novel strategies in the crystal engineering of lanthanide coordination polymers: Harnessing structure-directing agents and monodentate linkages.” Oral Presentation at ACS, Chicago, Il, USA. 3/2007.
16.“Introduction of structure-directing agents in the synthesis of lanthanide-organic frameworks and subsequent luminescent properties.” Oral Presentation at Mid-Atlantic Seaboard Inorganic Symposium, Washington, DC, USA. 8/2006.
17.“Lanthanide co-luminescence studies in metal-organic frameworks.” Oral Presentation at the 38th Middle Atlantic Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (MARM 2006), Hershey, PA, USA. 6/2006.
18.“Manipulating lanthanide luminescence in metal-organic frameworks.” Poster Presentation at NECZA, Philadelphia, PA, USA. 12/2005.
19.“Host-guest interactions within metal-organic frameworks.” Oral Presentation at ACS, Washington, DC, USA. 8/2005.
20.“Towards templated metal-organic frameworks.” Poster Presentation at the 228th National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS, Fall 2004), Philadelphia, PA, USA. 8/2004.
Plus dozens of other presentations as a non-presenting co-author. Some at national ACS meetings, others at local symposia like FAU research symposia, Florida Undergraduate Research Conference, NanoFlorida, Florida Inorganic & Materials Symposium, and Florida Annual Meeting of the ACS (FAME). I have also presented seminars to Chemistry or Materials Science departments at several universities nationwide.
Florida Writer's Association - Lifetime Member
Alliance of Independent Authors - Associate Author Member
-Florida Atlantic University’s Distinguished Mentor of the Year Award, Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Mentorship, 2016
-National Science Foundation American Competitiveness in Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2009
-Graduate Student Prize in Chemistry
American Institute of Chemists, 2008
-Dimitris N. Chorafas Foundation Prize
International award recognizing exceptional achievements in research, 2007
-Cosmos Club Foundation Grants-in-Aid of Young Scholars, 2007
-Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research (national competition), 2006
-Achievement Reward for College Scientists (ARCS) Scholar, 2005, 2006
-Graduate Student Travel Award, American Chemical Society
Division of Inorganic Chemistry, 2004